To build a WordPress site you will need a domain name and a web hosting service to host your web Site. Bluehost is very reliable and has fast and good customer support. (Yes, I get a small commission if you follow the link and start an account.)
I realize there are many other hosting services that will get you set up with a domain name and a web hosting account. The feedback be as low as $48 a year.
Why Do I Love Bluehost?
- I have been recommending Bluehost for years to students and clients. The feedback I get is all good.
- They have great phone support. You never have to wait long for a smart person to answer your questions.
- Their user interface to set up and manage your account is well thought out.
- Their technology is excellent. Your site will stay online and perform well even on a shared hosting system.
- They are affordable and competitively priced.
While this video is a little dated (Bluehost has upgraded its user interface), it shows you the few steps needed to install WordPress in a Bluehost web hosting account.
(Might want to make this video full screen.)
This video explains the basics of how web sites work and the role that web hosting companies, like Bluehost, play in the process.
The Basic Services That Most Web Hosting Companies Provide
No matter which company you choose, you can expect
the following services will be there for you.
- Web Hosting
to store your WordPress files and your database
to provide you with something like [email protected]
- Domain Name Registration
What’s cool is that you don’t need to have all 3 services with one company. For example, say you’ve got a domain registered with GoDaddy. You can still have your site and email handled with Bluehost. Leaving your domain registered right where you have it might be a lot easier than transferring the domain registration to Bluehost.