Topic Progress:

Course Progress

4: Installing WP With A Typical Managed WordPress Host

Running Time:  5:00

The top of the line in web hosting comes from companies that offer Managed WP hosting. Usually this includes a suite of higher quality services that range from high performance technology built from the ground up to the best in tech support.

Managed WP companies have security, performance and site backup/restoration at the top of the list of the things they provide.

Once such company is Kinsta for which I am an affiliate (that means I receive a commission for a referral).

My video demonstrates the ease in which a WP site can be installed in their system. I also show how to set up a Staging site where you can experiment with plugins, themes or custom code without disturbing your Production (live) site.

Here are just some of the features you get with Kinsta no matter which plan you choose:

• CDN
  •  
  • SSL (https://)
  •  
  • Backups
  •  
  • SFTP
  •  
  • and more.

A great aspect of Manage WP hosting is that you don’t need to trick up your site with lots of plugins such as those that increase speed or handle cache clearing. Tools like that are part of the built in service with Manage WP hosting. Kinsta even has a redirect tool so you don’t need to use the Redirect plugin. Nice!

Get Access To Over 50 Free Videos  So You Can Learn WordPress

Transcript Of This Video

OK, I’ve logged into my Kinsta admin. I am a new user for Kinsta, and I don’t know exactly what I’m going to see here. I know I’m looking at the dashboard. Not a whole lot is going on. I noticed that they don’t use the C-panel system, which many web hosting companies do. Kinsta built this from scratch using something called the Google Cloud Platform, and it looks a whole lot different and better actually.

I want to install WordPress, so I’m going to go over here to “Sites” and let’s add that first site over here. Now I do need to pick a server location, and I suppose the nearest one to me is in Los Angeles, although I’m not close to LA. I’m just going to give my site a name. Let’s call it “Test site.” I don’t want to use any of my domains that I have, and I’m just going to install WordPress, just garden-variety WordPress. I’m going to give it a site title, let’s call it “Test site.” That would make sense too. What admin name do I want to use? I’m going to use my name. They’re already assigning me a password, and I’m just going to make a copy of that in case I need to use it later. Now I’m getting prompted to add my WordPress admin email, which is very important because this is used primarily to send an email in the event you have to reset your password. English is fine. I’m going to leave all these unchecked, and I want garden-variety WordPress. Now let’s add the site, and here we are. It did take a few minutes to get this all set up, and I cut that all out, so you didn’t have to see it. I did have to refresh the browser to get to this, but it worked. Now I’m going to click on “Test site,” it would seem to make sense. So you have a whole list of options over here that deal with this particular site, and I’m going to skip right over year to “Domains.” Let’s see, I’m going to– Here’s my you URL, and it’s very simple to open this up. Here’s the site that I installed, so pretty good. If I want to log in– I could do it this way, that’s nice too. OK, I’m going to enter my username and enter my password, and I’m logged in at the dashboard, and everything looks pretty much like you’d expect any WordPress website to look. But it’s got this link over here, let’s have a look at this, “Kinsta cache.” You can come here and clear your cache, which is nice because sometimes that’s something you need to do, and it’s very simple to do with Kinsta. One other thing I want to show you that I found out, is if we go over to back to “Sites,” now I’m back in the Kinsta dashboard, and I’m on the “Sites” page. Again, I only have one site installed. I click on “Live,” and then right over here, I want to create a staging environment. I haven’t done this yet, so let’s give this a try. Of course, the staging environment is the copy of your live site where you can work on things like testing plugins, or testing out a new theme, or doing things that you don’t want to do on your live site for a variety of reasons.

I’m going to go ahead and create my staging environment, so it’s doing this for me. After a moment or two I get redirected to this page over here, it’s found right over here by “Sites,” and now I have two links over here. Before I head “Live,” and now I have “Staging.” If I click on that this will indicate to me that I now have a staging site set up. In fact, I could go over here and open the URL.

Now, it’s going to look exactly like the other one. The URL is going to be different because it’s going to have “Staging” in there, which is exactly what I want to see. In other words, it’s just a copy of the live site, and I can use the staging site to do all the development work and testing plugins, whatever, and not bother the live site. Kinsta makes it pretty easy, as you can see, to setup a staging environment. In fact, look right over here, it says “Staging environment” so you know that you’re working in the staging, as compared with the live environment. Here’s the link for that. This is all the information and controls and tools that you’re going to need for the live environment, so in essence, the staging environment is just a copy of the live environment so that you can do your testing.

All 6 Modules In This Course

• All Free Access

To see all the videos in this course just fill this out to create your free account.

• Please Read This

You're about to subscribe to my WordPress Big 3 newsletter and that's a good thing!

I'll keep you up-to-date with WordPress news, resources and advice delivered to you almost every Sunday.

My newsletter is commercial free except for an occasional announcement of a discount for one of my services.

No worries. Your email address will be kept safe and sound with MailChimp. I will never use it for any reason other than sending the WordPress Big 3 Newsletter to you. I value you and your privacy.

If you don't want my newsletter you will still be able to see many videos in this course.

Illustration of 2 people talking

Get A Free 60 Minute Screen Sharing Consultation From Bud Kraus, Experienced WordPress Site Developer and Instructor